Switching Hosting Providers: How To
The process of changing hosting providers is simple and can be accomplished with minimal hassle and downtime provided certain steps are followed in order.
- Insure that you have a full working copy of your website files, databases, cgi scripts, etc. stored on your computer. Download or record any pertinent email address settings, passwords, log file data, statistic reports, etc. from your current host..
- You will need access to your domain name through your domain name registrar so that you can modify the domain name servers to list the NetHere name servers as authoritive for your domain. Our customer care can assist you with determing your domain name registrar and assist you with updating your name servers.
- Select and order your NetHere Hosting package
- Upload (ftp) your website files to your new service, install and configure any databases, scripts, etc. Setup your email accounts. Test your website by using the temp. URL we provided.
- Double-check the email settings in your email software to make sure your settings work with the new service. (your mail server entries should read "mail.nethere.net")
- Modify/Transfer your domain name to use NetHere's Name Servers:
ns1.nethere.net (184.108.40.206)In approximately 12-24 hours check your domain name to insure it is now pointing to NetHere. You may also see Domain Name Transfers (to NetHere) within our Knowledge Base for additional information.
- 48 hours after modifying your name servers, you may cancel service with your previous hosting provider. Make sure they remove your domain name from their DNS servers.